This is a collection of stories and articles created by writer / artist Holly Dare. All materials, including photographs, on this blog are copyright protected and are the sole property of the writer or original publisher. Do not steal intellectual material!

Friday, November 1, 2002

Dear Aunt Sister - November 2002

When I wrote for the now defunct Foothill Sentinel, I was the ghost writer for the Dear Aunt Sister advice column. When writing the column, I channel my beloved aunt, born in 1913, known affectionately to her five brothers and all their offspring as "Sister." She handled everything with charm, fantastic wit and always a twinkle in her eye.


I'm in high school. There's this really cute guy in my class, and I really like him, but I don't think he even knows I exist. How can I get his attention?
Madly In Love

Dear Love,

I am so sorry to be the one to break this to you but, you ARE NOT in love. True love is based on honesty and really knowing someone. You cannot be in love with someone who doesn’t even know you exist.

That being said, I do know how you feel. When I was in high school, I had the most difficult time getting a young man to notice me. The thing that worked best was to just walk over and say hello to him. You have to remember guys are just as shy as girls. Why not be the one to break the ice first? After hello, tell him your name and mention something you have in common. And if the conversation doesn’t start rolling or you feel like a fool? DON’T! First, you showed real courage by talking to him. Someone who likes you will love that quality. If they don’t like you, they’re not worth your time!

And by the way, that young man from my high school days has been my dear husband for almost 60 years! And if you ask him, the thing he loves the most is that I once made a fool out of myself to get his attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment