This is a collection of stories and articles created by writer / artist Holly Dare. All materials, including photographs, on this blog are copyright protected and are the sole property of the writer or original publisher. Do not steal intellectual material!

Sunday, December 1, 2002

Dear Aunt Sister - December 2002

When I wrote for the now defunct Foothill Sentinel, I was the ghost writer for the Dear Aunt Sister advice column. When writing the column, I channel my beloved aunt, born in 1913, known affectionately to her five brothers and all their offspring as "Sister." She handled everything with charm, fantastic wit and always a twinkle in her eye.

Dear Aunt Sister,

I have a friend who I’ll call Sue. I have treasured her friendship for many years. Sue recently stopped calling and returning phone calls. I ran into her at a social event and asked her what was going on. Sue told me she’s tired of my asking her advice and then not following it. This friend means a lot to me. What can I do?

Flabergasted



Dear Friend,

What Sue is failing to realize is that when we ask our friends for advice, it is a way of exploring options. It is impossible for you to follow Sue’s advice to the letter because you are NOT Sue!
If you feel the friendship is salvageable, find a way to let her know how her advice has helped you to solve some of your problems, but tell her, too, that you need to do what is right for you. But before you do, ask yourself why you want to be friends with someone who doesn’t want you to make your own decisions.


*************************************************************

HELP! Christmas is coming and our kids want so much. It’s not that we mind buying for them, but why does the fat guy in the red suit have to get all the credit?
Under-appreciated Mom & Dad


Dear Mom and Dad,
It is up to you to help yourself, but let me give you an idea. In our family, St. Nick brings every child three (and ONLY three) gifts: Something they need, something they want, and something “just because.” The theory behind the three gifts gives parents the opportunity to remind children why we celebrate Christmas in the first place. That was the number of presents the Christ child got. Every other gift comes from someone the child knows and can thank properly.
We work hard idea - why does the fat guy in the red suit have to get all the credit?

Now, as for the reference to my dear friend Santa’s weight, a subject about which he is very sensitive: You’re going to end up on his Naughty List. You better be writing to him to apologize or you’re going get coal in your stocking!

No comments:

Post a Comment